Transporting a workflow in 4.6c

Alon Raskin araskin at 3i-consulting.com
Wed Dec 1 08:39:11 EST 2004

OK  here goes...
=20
Version 9999 is the version that SAP creates when transporting your =
workflow. Lets say you are transporting workflow A to system JQ1. This =
system target has versions 0000, 0001 and 0002 (the currently active =
version). When you transport your workflow, your version automatically =
becomes version 9999. When you display or kick off your WF, the workflow =
sub system detects that there is a more recent version of your workflow =
and it copies version 9999 into version 0003 or version 0002 depending =
on whether there are any active instances of version 0002. Whats really =
amasing (though I am sure there is a good reason) but a new version is =
not created when you transport. Only when you 'access' the workflow is a =
new version created.=20
=20
The nightmare begins when you are transporting and there are errors in =
the transport. In our 4.6c system, we transport WF A from DV1 to JQ1. In =
DV1 we have 5 version of our workflow (bad idea i know) and In JQ1 we =
have 12 versions (where version 12 is the currently active version). Say =
during the transport, the workflow could not be activated (syntax error =
in the WF container due to missing data dictionary definition).. I would =
expect that the WF version would simply remain at the last active =
version (in our case v12). Incorrect. What our SAP system did was to =
simply make version 5 the currently active version!!!! Basically, it =
took the number from JD1 and made it the active version number in JQ1. =
Needless to say this caused an amasing amount of problems for us. We did =
log it with SAP but they took to long to investigate and get back to us =
(and we couldn't wait) so we simply hacked the appropriate tables =
ourselves to make the workflow 'point' to the correct version. See =
tables HRS1205 and SWDHRS1205.
=20
Have fun!
=20