Task locking fun fun fun....

Michael Pokraka workflow at quirky.me.uk
Wed Aug 18 14:15:23 EDT 2004

Hi folks,
I've a situation which occurs in a variety of flows (4.7/620):

Step 1 is executed, user does something which triggers wait for event
elsewhere in the flow.
Step 2 is a custom method and uses Advance with Dialog.
Step 2 kicks in before the wait step gets the event and locks the task

The end result: a workflow in status COMPLETED or CANCELLED and one step =
in
the middle somewhere in status STARTED.

We've peppered the methods with lots of little WAIT statements, but I don=
't
like it one bit and doesn't always help: In some flows it's the other way
around, the task that raises the event takes too long to complete and
remains active at the point in time the WF is cancelled/completed. Thus t=
he
user is returned to the inbox to find two identical tasks - one he just
executed belonging to the now cancelled flow and one from the new restart=
ed
one.

Oh, the orphaned task completes itself during the next error monitoring r=
un
within 20 min, but that's long enough to confuse people in between.

Has anyone had any similar issues? Any suggestions?

Cheers
Mike