SWI2_ADM1 doesn't find all orphaned items!

Scheinoha John Scheinoha.John at basco.com
Tue Oct 21 12:47:54 EDT 2003

Mike,

  We struggle with this same issue at our company.  The problem from my
point of view, is how are employees that no longer have access to SAP
(inactive employees) dealt with.  We delete them from the SAP
authorization tables.  Fortunately we also developed an ABAP program to
look for active work items and send an e-mail to these individuals
telling them they have work items in their SAP inbox to execute.  When
an employee becomes inactive, the e-mail can't be sent to the proper
destination and these errors are then sent back to WF-BATCH.  We made
the internet mail address of WF-BATCH the same as the workflow
administrator.  The bottom line is this:

1.  Employee becomes inactive and are removed from the SAP
authorization tables.

2.  This same employee has active work items to execute.

3.  Employee should receive an e-mail message telling the employee they
have work items in their SAP inbox to execute.  e-mail message can't be
delivered, therefore the
     error message is sent to WF-BATCH (Workflow Administrator).

4.  Workflow Administrator reviews work items assigned to inactive
employee via SAP view V_ORG_WI where Org Management Obj = 'USemployee
index number'.

5.   Workflow Administrator review these work items via SWI1 and works
with the appropriate personnel to re-assign these work items to the
appropriate people.

   Items that needed to be developed / modified:

1.  Create ABAP program to send an e-mail message to employees with
active work items.  This programs is run daily two times a day.

2.  Change the internet mail address of WF-BATCH to the Workflow
administrator's e-mail address.

   It may seem like a long way around, but it's the best approach we
came up with so far.  Any other comments, suggestions would also be
greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

John Scheinoha
Briggs & Stratton Corporation
(414) 256 - 5136
scheinoha.john at basco.com

>>> workflow at quirky.me.uk 10/21/03 11:21AM >>>
Hi all,
Aside from this may be useful info for the list, I'm also in a bit of a
dilemma over this one, it concerns SWI2_ADM1 - workitems without
agents:

If a user is deleted from the system his/her items are not always
orphaned. Also, if a workflow still gets sent on to a user who no longer
exists, workflow just sends it and SWI2_ADM1 will not report it.
Effectively this item is lost without deadlines or other secondary
monitoring.

I have reported this to OSS, and their reply was pretty much that there
is nothing worng/they aren't prepared to change it - technically
speaking the item has an agent - even if it's a bogus user
'DOESNOTEXIST'. SAP have recommended we clone the report behind
SWI2_ADM1 or do other development to track user deletions and
periodically 'clean up' the workflow tables so that SWI2_ADM1 will find
everything it should.

The dilemma is that client is not too happy about what they think falls
under 'doesn't do what it says on the box', and even less happy about
maintaing more cloned reports than necessary - or having to manipulate
SAP tables.

I would welcome any opinions you might have, as I'm ... well, I'll keep
my opinions out of this for now. If you've encountered the situation and
have a different workaround, I wouldn't mind if you could drop a hint
either.

Cheers
Mike