Deadline Monitoring

Dart, Jocelyn jocelyn.dart at sap.com
Mon Oct 20 19:34:43 EDT 2003

Hi Manju,
It's Jocelyn by the way - Dart is my surname.

So someone turned deadline monitoring on in the old workflows but its never been used?  As deadline setting is part of the workflow configuration (transaction SWDD_CONFIG) options, why not just use this to turn off the deadline settings in the old workflows until they can be reviewed? That way you don't need to change the old workflows directly.  A look at table SWDSSTEPS will quickly show you which steps/tasks within the various workflows have a non-zero deadline setting.

I'd also suggest that you start getting the responsible business process owners for the different workflows affected to assess whether they want deadline monitoring or not for those workflows - presumably it was turned on for a reason.

Adjusting RSWWDHEX is possible but not easy, and there would of course be a performance impact in checking which workflow a deadline belonged to.

More importantly this table clears out all the old deadline references so if you restrict RSWWDHEX to just your workflow you never clear the deadlines being added by the old workflows. So deadline monitoring will just get slower and slower if other workflows are still adding entries to the deadline tables.

I'm thinking perhaps you should at least look at the deadline monitoring run time instance table SWWIDH before you retest your workflow - you may find the deadlines being raised are just really old references from old workflows - in which case you could clear out the old entries from this table before starting your workflow in production.
Regards,
        Jocelyn Dart
Consultant (SRM, EBP, Workflow)
and co-author of the book