Abrupt stop in workflow execution

Parag Joshi parag at sra3s.com
Tue Oct 14 16:18:35 EDT 2003

Folks,

I had a unusual situation.

Workflow execution suddenly stopped during runtime. System was supposed
to create a dialog workitem and it didn't. Workflow graphical log shows
that is  stopped just before creating the dialog workitem. No errors logg=
ed.
I somehow re-started the workflow with "restart workflows after system cr=
ash"
and it started, though it ended in error after the dialog workitem was ex=
ecuted.
 Then I used "restart after error" to get the workflow in track.

Again, there was no system crash, everything was working perfectly fine.
Workflow has been functional for long time, dialog task is a old recurrin=
task. No authorizations were changed. Funnier part, I am not able to recr=
eate
the situation. I am having hard time locating the culprit and convincing
the users the it won't happen again.

In my design, I am calling sub-workflows in loop, loops can eventually ge=
quiet deep, typically 8 levels. I am not sure if this loops causes hiccup=
for the system to keep track of.

I have never faced such situation before...anybody has?

Thanks.
Parag Joshi.
SAP Workflow Consultant.