Attachments recommendation

Kjetil Kilhavn kjetilk at statoil.com
Wed Nov 26 04:00:43 EST 2003

That depends on what you need. Hey, I could be a consultant! I only need to
add "which we will help you find out".

Black/White TIFF or JPEG may be sufficient in some cases where an image is
needed, other times plain text is the best. Both of these should give
acceptable response times. PDF is a quite good format since readers are
freely availble for many operating systems ("many operating systems" does
not mean "XP Professional and XP Home"), and it satisfies some legal
requirements for non-changeability, at least here in Norway.

Anything that has to do with Microsoft Office should be avoided like other
plagues. How will you handle it when Microsoft's new program versions can
not read the old document formats? How can you convert attachments stored
in the database. Not to mention the lock-in. Proprietary formats = open
wallet (your wallet, and it is not to accept incoming money).

If you need "Office" documents, use OpenOffice.org or StarOffice. Documents
are stored in XML format with the file acting as a container (zipped
archive), which means that in the worst case scenario you can unzip the
file and read the XML with a plain text editor.

PS: Although I have a personal vendetta since DOS erased my whole OS/2
partition (including data) around 10 years ago, I am not necessarily
wrong...
Microsoft still have not been able to integrate speech recognition in the
operating system - I had that in the mid-nineties when I ran OS/2 on my
home computer (which now runs SuSE Linux). OS/2 also had a truly
object-oriented user interface, the one thing I miss most in Linux and any
other operating system available today - except eComStation which is based
on OS/2.
Why would anyone trust Microsoft - a company with a poor record track on
technology developement, interoperability, security and backwards
compatibility - with something as important as documents? The company has
been good at two things: marketing and ... eh ... eh... illegal sales
agreements which prevented the users possibility to chose between
alternative solutions.
--
Kjetil Kilhavn

                    Shayam Agrawal
                    <shayamagrawal at lycos        To:     SAP-WUG at MITVMA.MIT.EDU
                    .com>                       cc:     (bcc: Kjetil Kilhavn)
                    Sent by: SAP                Subject:     Attachments recommendation
                    Workflow
                    <Owner-SAP-WUG at MITVM
                    A.MIT.EDU>

                    26.11.2003 07:04
                    Please respond to
                    "SAP Workflow Users'
                    Group"

Hi All,
Good day,

I need a recommendation on workitem attachments.
Which document type should we recommend the customer for attachmemt to work
items as with .PPT and .jpg attachment the work item execution takes long
time because it executes SAPFSSO0 report to read office document and
consumes lot of CPU.

Any thought/recommendation is highly appreciated,

Thanks and Regards,
Shayam Agrawal

this message.
Thank you.