Approval procedures with workflow

Dror Weiss drorw at hotmail.com
Tue May 20 06:16:41 EDT 2003

Hello everybody,

I have a general question regarding approval procedures with workflow.
In the example I'm dealing with the case is approval of an employee trip by
several functions in the company management.
The general scheme of the workflow I created is a loop that occurs until the
trip is finally approved or the initiator chooses to withdraw his approval
request. Every time a rejection occurs the trip request is sent back to the
initiator for repairs and the approval procedure starts over.
I implemented this process using the 'loop-until' step in the workflow
template.
The triggering event for the workflow is EmployeeTrip.Requested (business
object BUS2089).

The big problem is that when the initiator changes the trip request after a
rejection occurs the triggering event is raised and another instance of the
workflow is created - in parallel to the original workflow which is still in
progress. Of course this situation is very undesirable.

Another possibility I considered is to stop the workflow and send the trip
request back to the initiator. When the initiator repairs the request a new
workflow for the repaired request will start. This method is very
problematic since the history and attached documents will not be preserved
from the original workflow.

If any of you have experience with similar cases or have any idea please
respond.

Thanks in advance,
Dror Weiss