Dynamic Work item text how-to

Edwin Mukusha emukusha at nebraska.edu
Wed Jul 30 09:46:12 EDT 2003

I hope understand you correctly.  Basically to make your workitem text work
properly in the "Work Item Text" field enter:  &zWorkItemText&  &zEname&.
I think the mistake that you are making is that you are trying to pass a
variable within a variable, this as you have seen does not work very well.
Try not to type in your variable container elements by hand, rather use the
icon "insert variables" (next to the trash can directly underneath the
"Work Item Text" field) to specify the elements that you want.

Have fun.

Edwin Mukusha

                      Rick Sample
                      <Rick.Sample at gbe.co        To:       SAP-WUG at MITVMA.MIT.EDU
                      m>                         cc:
                      Sent by: SAP               Subject:  Dynamic Work item text how-to
                      Workflow
                      <Owner-SAP-WUG at MITV
                      MA.MIT.EDU>

                      07/30/2003 08:21 AM
                      Please respond to
                      "SAP Workflow
                      Users' Group"

I am using SELFITEM.SENDTASKDESCRIPTION tasks which send messages to users
on an approval process. I have too many nearly identical messages. Any time
I want to
change a simple line or two I have to go into half a dozen tasks and make
the same change.

I know how to conditional coding in the Description but now I would like to
have the
Work Item Text a tad more generic. I can create a container and put it into
the Work Item Text
and pass it in the binding like so.
For field "Work Item Text" in the Task ->Basic Data I entered
&zWorkItemText&
&zWorkItemText& = "myMessage - Approved message for Mr Smith"
I can pass text into this field via the container but not other containers
like so.
For field "Work Item Text" in the Task ->Basic Data I entered
&zWorkItemText&
&zWorkItemText& = "myMessage - Approved message for &zEname&"
Result of this is the display of: "myMessage - Approved message for
&zEname&" and not
"myMessage - Approved message for Mr Smith"

Any way to concatenate the containers in the string so I can get the
containers and the text?
I could create multiple containers and put into Work Item Text like
&zWorkItemText1&, &zWorkItemText2&,
&zWorkItemText3&, ... But would rather not.

thanks!