Workflow Deadline Monitoring Question

Michael Pokraka workflow at quirky.me.uk
Tue Dec 2 05:56:34 EST 2003

I can quite confidently give you a consultant's answer on that one: It
depends.

As needed gives you better accuracy, but is only feasible if you have few
deadlines, I'd say less than 10/hour (note, this is 'how many workitems
with a deadline are we creating'). Periodic means that you are only as
accurate as the job, 5 or 10 minutes should be reasonable. Your minute's
deadline will thus happen with the next run after the deadline has passed=
,
thus 1-6 minutes later.
Just my opinion, but I'm very wary of using deadlines for the purpose of
introducing a minute's delay into a process or similar, and also avoid
using deadlines in frequent workflows (1000's per day). The reason is
performance, each deadline does all the schedule checking and creates it'=
own table entries which the deadline monitoring job has to additionally
check - a double performance hit.

Cheers
Mike