AW: Behaviour on faulty agent determination...

Zmudzin,Tomasz,FRANKFURT,Extern LG-DM Tomasz.Zmudzin at de.nestle.com
Wed Aug 13 04:34:50 EDT 2003

Hi Michael,

"Why doesn't the system produce an error?"

Because it's pretty damned stupid -- or, more formally: "because existence,
LOCKS & validity are unfortunately not checked by the agent determination
program".

There is some justification for this, but it rests on philosophical grounds
that do not have be accepted by everyone:

- workflows failing because some user is locked / delimited somehow resemble
a dog wagged by its tail
- agent determination can be one of the more performance-intensive workflow
functionalities, so loading it with even heavier checks would only make it
worse (and users are supposed to be locked / invalidated rather than removed
anyway)
- there is a standard "Workitems without agents" report that should be run
-- which is softer than having to restart WFs after error,

so in general it is a matter of style.

As of the chocolate -- I'm too fat already, so let's do that for free...

Best regards,
Tomasz