Standard process has no event, how to notify workflow?

Mark Johnston mark_johnston at ie.ibm.com
Fri Apr 4 09:08:03 EST 2003

Hi,

I am workflowing a process in SAP that does not trigger an event -
Settlement of a Trip - in PRO5.

Required
If a user completes this process outside of the workflow how do I notify my
workflow
to finish or move on. I would normally use a fork and wait for event - as I
do successfully
in a previous step in the workflow (that process triggered an event).

My options currently seem limited to

1) Modify the standard process (code) to trigger an event - a last resort
(and then some)!
2) Use change documents to trigger the event - none are created from this
process.
3) Use status management - not available for my process.

Chosen Option
4) Have a task in the flow that based on the object key checks if the
required process
has been completed and if so notify the workflow. I've implemented this in
a similar
fashion to fork and wait for event step.

I use a LOOP UNTIL the process is complete and am calling a task to
determine the completion of the process.
If my process is complete I advance to workflow complete.
Of course the other fork will flow to 'workflow completed' if the user
completes the process.

The task I use to establish completion of the event calls a standard
business
object and method (using the object key) and returns a result which is use
to establish if I exit the loop
or not.

Problem
My concern is that until that process is complete my task will continuously
execute.
Also, that will be repeated for each instance of the workflow.
This concerns me i.e. processes will be used and performance impact could
be large.

Are my concerns valid?
What choices do I have?

Thanks for your time.

Kind regards,

Mark Johnston

IBM Business Consulting Services
Oldbrook House, 24/32 Pembroke Road, Dublin 4.
Phone:   +353-(0)1-815 4907
Mobile:  +353-(0)86-814 4258
fax:          +353-(0)1-667 1848
e-mail:  mark_johnston at ie.ibm.com