Terminating event does not cancel task (46C)

Kjetil Kilhavn kjetilk at statoil.com
Wed Apr 2 01:50:37 EST 2003

I have created a task (TS) for approval of individual development plans -
career planning is close to the truth. The object is home-made with events
planChanged and itemSubmitted (for approval). The task has triggering and
terminating events, and the 'Confirm end of processing' flag has been set.
The method (and thus the task) is synchronous. The events are published by
a program that runs nightly.

The task responds nicely to the triggering event, creating a new work item
that lands in the managers workflow inbox. Unfortunately, the terminating
event does not function quite as perfectly. If the work item has status
Committed (i.e. executed without confirming end of processing) the log
shows that the event was received, but the work item is not cancelled. If
the work item is in status Ready the log shows that the terminating event
was received and the work item is set in status Committed.

Thus the manager will receive a second work item if the plan is changed
again (new item submitted for approval) before the manager completed
handling the previously received work item. This was not what I had in mind
when I defined that terminating event.

No OSS notes seem to apply (at least not when searching with key words
terminating and event).

Does anyone know if the combination of 'Confirm end of processing' and a
terminating event impossible? I've looked in The Book without finding
anything. By impossible I mean useless, as there is no point in having a
terminating event unless it actually causes termination to happen.
Requiring an end of processing confimation after a terminating event has
been received makes no sense.

I was hoping that for once I would be able to simply use a single task....
--
Kjetil Kilhavn

this message.
Thank you.