SAP GUI needed?

Verlaat, Robert Robert.Verlaat at PWN.NL
Mon Sep 30 05:29:15 EDT 2002

Hi Jocelyn, (or anyone else...)

Thanks for your answer.=20

Can you tell me a little bit more about the first option. (SAPforms-VB)
I don't see the complete picture.

Which program should the user use to execute their WI's?

Thanks a lot....

Robert=20

Hi Robert,
There is a bunch of documentation on the MAPI option in the SAP Library
help and
also in OSS notes (component BC-BMT-WFM - search for "MAPI") about how
this works.
The operation is different depending on whether you have connected in
client mode or
server mode.

I've not used the MAPI option much so some others may be able to tell
you directly if
there is an opportunity to use your own Outlook or VB forms with this
approach. I think there
is but its a while since I read up on it.

If you don't want to use SAP GUI there are a number of alternatives
which don't require
a MAPI connection - an SMTP connection is enough.
E.g.
1. Using SAPFORMS to link the work item to a VB program (program needs
to be distributed to PCs)
2. Using RSWUWFML or your own copy to send an email notification with a
hyperlink that takes
you to a web-accessible inbox e.g. via the ITS or Enterprise Portal.
This one is the
approach I see used quite a lot at customers. Bonus is it isn't
dependent on your groupware.
This approach will use SAPGUI for HTML (webgui) as a default, but you
can also make more user
friendly versions e.g. using SAPFORMS for HTML or (from 6.10) form
steps.

Hope that helps.
Regards,
        Jocelyn Dart