Custom table modified

Pokraka, Michael michael.pokraka at kcc.com
Thu Oct 17 07:56:20 EDT 2002

Ouch, that's generally not a good scenario to start with. Normally you'd
find SAP strongly recommending against that due to buffering issues and
whatnots - depending on how exactly the tables are configured it is possible
to end up with inconsistent data. Your question reflects exactly the
situation I'm talking about - how does SAP know the table has changed?

It might be worthwhile to look at alternative update methods as there are
many: RFC, IDOC, BAPI it's way more efficient in the long run!

Of course if you really have to go down this route, you'd need to get your
application to call an FM explicitly to raise the event after this is done.
You can do this via startrfc, I think SWE_EVENT_CREATE is callable from
outside SAP.
There is one caveat with this: normally, an event is called within the
update task - i.e. receiving an event pretty much guarantees that the
database is committed and everything is in synch. If you call the event
explicitly from outside, you have no guarantee what state the DB is in. ODBC
may talk to Oracle or whatever's underneath SAP, but SAP buffers may still
reflect the old data for some time afterwards.

Cheers
Michael