AW: getting an attribute

Zmudzin,Tomasz,VEVEY,GL-DS/DM Tomasz.Zmudzin at nestle.com
Tue Oct 1 01:58:15 EDT 2002

Jose,

* please note that the key of 'material' is actually a key of a business
object typed 'VBAP' (composed of client number, "VBAP" string and the rest
of the key shifted accordingly").
* when you query the 'MATERIAL' property of this business object, you get an
object reference in return (please check the attribute definition -- it's
'object', not DDIC). So again it's not just a plain number -- it's a living
object. So its key is also composed of the client number, business object
type, and the material key. If you want to get the object key only (=the
number of the material, 18 chars long), use the offset -- or even better,
the following coding:

data: matnr_nr like mara-matnr.

SWC_CREATE_OBJECT VBAPOBJ 'VBAP' matobj.
SWC_GET_PROPERTY VBAPOBJ 'MATERIAL' matnr.
SWC_GET_OBJECT_KEY matnr matnr_nr.

and you'll have it in the matnr_nr variable.

The key thing is again to distinguish between an object and a plain
variable. An object has its own living -- you can ask it to do something
(method call) or query its properties. It's different from a number
identifying the instance (e.g. material '4711'). You cannot do the same with
that number -- cannot ask it to display itself. So the object is more than
just this number. For certain important reasons its key is thus composed of
all the other elements too which shift that "number" in the display. At
least that allows you to differentiate between a '4711' material and '4711'
customer, which are simply different creatures.

Kind regards,
Tomasz

P.S. 1: For readability I'd suggest to rename

MATOBJ   --> VBAPOBJ
MATNR    --> MATERIAL
MATNR_NR --> MATNR

P.S. 2: As of the number-object difference: As a nice exercise try following
this up in SWO1 test mode...