Business Workplace / WebFlow Inbox on Web

Dart, Jocelyn jocelyn.dart at sap.com
Sun Nov 10 18:00:44 EST 2002

Hi Kenneth,
There are a number of options for web based inboxes, which are
of course discussed in the book in the chapter on work item delivery.

However briefly your options are as follows:
1. If you are using Enterprise Portals, there is a universal worklist iview,
or you can use the ITS to call BWSP (web inbox) directly or SBWP via SAPGUI for HTML,
or you can also use the WinGUI option to call SBWP itself.
2. If you are using SAP Workplace, there is a workflow miniapp, BCBMTWFM0001.
Actually you should also be able to use this option in your release provided you have an ITS.
3. Some solutions have their own inboxes, e.g. EBP and ESS have special inboxes
that you can use.
4. If you have an ITS you can use BWSP - the web inbox.
5. If you have an ITS you can use SBWP itself via SAPGUI for HTML.
6. You can write your own using SAP_WAPI* function modules. There are some
good function modules for this purpose as they are used to build some of the other
inboxes.

So far as I am aware there isn't a web-based inbox built specifically using
the new WAS tools such as BSP yet.  It's still common to run an ITS alongside
a WAS system at this point due to the large amount of content already written for the ITS.

Don't forget that you also need to provide a way to execute work items called
by your inbox.  It's usual to use SAPGUI for HTML via an ITS for this purpose.
I would imagine you already have an ITS with your BW system anyway?

A large part of the inbox decision process depends on what features you need
your agents to use.  The iviews/miniapps provide the simplest and most user-friendly
interface, the web inbox provides a little more functionality, SBWP provides the
highest level of functionality.

Regards,
        Jocelyn Dart
Consultant (SRM, EBP, Workflow)