Workflow and SAP Portals

Cristiana d'Agosto cristiana.dagosto at au.pwcglobal.com
Fri May 24 01:32:24 EDT 2002

I'm not sure if this is the right user group to address this one, my
apologies if you don't think it is!

We are using version 4.6c and starting to look at SAP Portals as well. We
were trying to link Workflow to Microsoft Exchange and publish it through
the portal so that the users need to access only 1 application.

The idea would be not to necessarily execute the workitem inside Outlook
but to at least notify the user that a workflow was requiring execution.
Ideally a link, either to the SAP inbox or to the actual transaction
requiring approval would be placed inside the Outlook email (if this is
possible, how hard it is to do it???). One of the consultants thinks that
notifying a user about a new work item in their WF inbox is easily possible
via a standard ABAP program run batch. However, he believes that the link
to the actual transaction is certainly going to be an issue, because the
link has to be the work item which in turn executes the underlying SAP
transaction (do you agree with that?). According to him, since the BWSP
transaction (the WF inbox) is essentially a Java script, creating an URL
dynamically by the backend WF is well neigh impossible (any opinion on
that?).

Using this method, the user only has one inbox for all corporate email, a
requirement most of our clients are now requesting. In order to implement
this, I understand SAPConnect may be used. Then from a workflow programming
perspective we need to work out how to place a URL inside the message to
link them to the transaction or at the very least the SAP inbox which
shouldn't be difficult (am I correct here??)

Does anyone has any ideas on this subject?

In my simple, non-technical mind, the integration between Workflow and
Microsoft Exchange is the underlying layer, and Microsoft Exchange is then
published through the portal.  The portal has no impact on this as it is
the top layer. Am I dreaming???

Thanks and regards

Cristiana
computer.