Reacting Collectively

Kjetil Kilhavn kjetilk at statoil.com
Fri Aug 30 03:40:27 EDT 2002

Could this be an idea (we used it a while ago for e-mail notifications
about failed IDoc processing):
Code your own method, check some parameter (you probably have a parameter
table for various in-house stuff somewhere in your system) to see when the
message was last sent. If it has been sent within the frequency of these
files arriving, don't send again. First flow to send a message wins.

I think you would want to make everything in the method synchronous....
--
Kjetil Kilhavn

                    Alon Raskin
                    <araskin at 3i-consulti        To:     SAP-WUG at MITVMA.MIT.EDU
                    ng.com>                     cc:     (bcc: Kjetil Kilhavn)
                    Sent by: SAP                Subject:     Re: Reacting Collectively
                    Workflow
                    <Owner-SAP-WUG at MITVM
                    A.MIT.EDU>

                    29.08.2002 13:00
                    Please respond to
                    "SAP Workflow Users'
                    Group"

Hi Tomasz,

I will try and clarify what I am talking about. This is a hypothetical
example
but I am interested in hearing your thoughts (and anyone else who wants to
contribute).

1. I have 5000 instances of a Workflow currently running. Each instance is
waiting for a file to come into the system via EAI. If the file comes in
then
5000 events will be raised (one for each record in the file) and the 5000
instances will react accordingly.  If the event does not occur after a few
days
then I need to send a message to a user letting him/her know.

2. The problem is that when the file does not come in after a few days,
each
workflow would send a message to the user. The users inbox would have 5000
messages saying that the file did not come in. This is useless and annoying
the user.

The way i understood your suggestion is to have one Master Workflow that
monitors whether the file came in and notify the users. My problem with
that
approach is as follows:

1. What kicks off the Master Workflow? It cant be the Instance Workflow as
they
would end up kicking off 5000 instances of the Master Workflow which
defeats
the purpose.

I look forward to your reply.

Regards,