Workflow complexity

Robin Sahasranam Rsahasranam at worldbank.org
Wed Aug 28 15:43:59 EDT 2002

Hi Michael,

One way to simplify the workflow is to transfer the complexity to your
application (ABAP) and use a few simplified workflow(s). Basically your ABAP
logic could determine when a new workflow foreground dialog step is needed and
either start a workflow or raise an event (I prefer the latter because
terminating events could be exploited with this).  All the background steps,
loops etc could be coded in the application. This of course may not be possible
if you are relying on standard SAP WF-enabled transactions.

When we started out WF development, we had limited WF development expertise and
considerable greater ABAP expertise. We had to develop a complex approval WF
where the number and type of approval required varied with the type of master
data.  Some could be done in parallel and some sequential. and the total number
of steps varied. We basically created a simple single-step workflow which the
application triggered once or several times. The application also selected the
agent and passed it via the event container. When an approver approved /rejected
a request, the application again took care of terminating incomplete dependent
workflows or trigerring new ones through events. The application logic to raise
events is very simple: just a routine function call. Another advantage of this
approach was that approvers could also ansynchronously approve transactions
directly using the transaction instead of through their inbox.

This approach may not be completely feasible for you, but you could try to
identify code which could be transferred into an ABAP function or transaction
and simply your flowchart.

Robin Sahasranam
World Bank

                    "Pokraka, Michael"
                    <michael.pokraka at kcc        To:     Sap-Wug at Mitvma.Mit.Edu
                    .com>                       cc:
                    Sent by: SAP                Subject:     Workflow complexity
                    Workflow
                    <Owner-SAP-WUG at MITVM
                    A.MIT.EDU>

                    08/28/2002 02:59 PM
                    Please respond to
                    SAP Workflow Users'
                    Group

Greetings all,
We are on the way to building what I've affectionately dubbed 'the workflow
from hell'. It is quite complex and involves around 35 or so different
departments (some are plant or country-specific, thus actually even
multiplying those step by no. of plants). We're still planning, but I can
already foresee a monster with steps numbering in the 100's once we start
adding background tasks, deadline monitoring etc.

My request for info on this list: I'd appreciate anyone who could provide
some feedback with making huge workflows, specifically any pitfalls,
stability issues etc. I know it will be a maintenance monster (and so does
the client, but the client is always right :-)
Sub-workflows will be used wherever possible, but some of the branching
logic forces most of the steps into the master W/F.

Thanks
Michael

This e-mail is intended for the use of the addressee(s) only and may contain
privileged, confidential, or proprietary information that is exempt from
disclosure under law.  If you have received this message in error, please inform
us promptly by reply e-mail, then delete the e-mail and destroy any printed
copy.   Thank you.