How to create a background step?

Dart, Jocelyn jocelyn.dart at sap.com
Fri Aug 9 02:42:48 EDT 2002

Hi Gordon,
Your situation is a little unclear.
Do you mean the following:

* You have a first step that results in a change to the database
- perhaps by calling a transaction?
* After that you have a condition step that checks the value of the
change made by looking at an object attribute - and that isn't working?

In this case the best solution is probably to make the first step
asynchronous with a terminating event, i.e. turn the "synchronous" flag
on the method OFF and add a terminating event to the matching task to check
that the database has been updated.  Of course you will need to make
sure the event is raised, so you may have to add configuration to add the new
event.

If it's a database change then putting a requested start on the second step
would catch most situations but could not be guaranteed (e.g. a more serious
system problem or the user changing the wrong data would not be caught).

Regards,
        Jocelyn Dart
Consultant (SRM, EBP, Workflow)
and co-author of the book