How to create a background step?

Robin Sahasranam Rsahasranam at worldbank.org
Thu Aug 8 11:34:07 EDT 2002

Hi Gordon,

The code you have attached is actually for creating a method. To a create a
background step in a workflow to execute a method you would have to do the
following:

1.   Create the method in the object builder (SWO1). If you are using a custom
object this is straightforward. If you are extending a SAp object, you have to
create a custom object e.g. ZBUS2012 to extend Purchase order and make it a sub
type of BUS2012. You will create the method for ZBUS2012 and then do a
systemwide delegation of BUS2012 to ZBUS2012 (or is it the other way around, I
never remember).

2.   Create a standard task (PFTC) which calls the method.

3.   Edit your workflow template (PFTC) and using the Graphic Builder, add an
activity step for the new task you just created.

The above transactions are in 4.0b , but they exist in 4.6 as well, though there
may be newer versions as well. If you have never created/modified a
workflow/task, this may not be very easy or intuitive. It took a lot of on the
job training from a seasoned WF developer, before I picked it up.

Best of luck.

Robin Sahasranam

                    Gordon Blackmore
                    <gordon.blackmore at sask        To:     Sap-Wug at Mitvma.Mit.Edu
                    tel.sk.ca>                    cc:
                    Sent by: SAP Workflow         Subject:     How to create a background step?
                    <Owner-SAP-WUG at MITVMA.
                    MIT.EDU>

                    08/08/2002 10:54 AM
                    Please respond to SAP
                    Workflow Users' Group

OSS has recommend I create a background step to solve problem of condition
step not testing a change correctly.

The background step should read:

BEGIN_METHOD WASTETIME CHANGING CONTAINER.
WAIT UP TO 5 SECONDS.
END_METHOD.

I am still working in my first workflow, so I need a "cook book" method.

Thank-you in advance.