AW: Workflow Performance

Becker Stephan (extern) Stephan.Becker.ext at mchw.siemens.de
Thu Aug 8 03:45:00 EDT 2002

Hi Alon,

I have implemented several large scale workflow scenarios. It always =
seems
to come down to two factors: If the workflow and the underlying =
business
process are properly designed, and people are not flooded with =
workitems, it
is the load of dialog and background tasks generated by the workflow =
engine,
and the table growth in the runtime tables that makes things difficult =
in
productive environments.

Table growth can be countered by taking the sizes and growth factors =
into
account when specifying the hardware (one of my clients had 1Gig growth =
per
month just in the workflow tables, with just one big invoice =
verification
workflow on line item level..), the figures you need for this sizing =
will
need to come out of the stress test part of the integration test. Also,
ensure you archive closed workflows often, that will keep tables sizes =
low.

RFC load can be fought by giving workflow its own app server. If you =
have 49
anyway, another one or two for workflow won't really matter greatly in =
terms
of budget and such like, but they will make a world of difference for =
the
users, as large number of events can bring app servers close to a =
standstill
(sometimes beyond..), and users will go beserk.. The only thing you =
need to
do for that is point the RFC destination used for the workflow to a
different destination, that's it..

Next to that, you can do all sorts of optimisations, but they mostly =
scratch
the surface, and make little actual difference in terms of performance, =
but
depending on the circumstances, it would not be wise to ignore this
possibility. To alleviate peaks, for example, see which events you can
trigger with a time delay, so that the system does not have to cope =
with
dozends of events to be processed, when, say, a large invoice is =
entered and
triggers off a workflow per line item..

Hth,
Stephan