Workflow Performance

Alon Raskin araskin at 3i-consulting.com
Wed Aug 7 17:54:53 EDT 2002

My current client is quite concerned about Workflow and its impact on system
Performance. I would like to hear others who have had 'large' clients weigh
in on this.

I have tried to explain to my client that if we are kicking off many events
per hour then that can have an impact on the system performance. I explained
that this can be offset by using the Event Queue (I am not sure that that is
its proper name).

They are also concerned about having many workflows 'sitting around' and
listening for events to be raised. I told them that this is not really a
problem as the Workflow is not actually polling. In fact when the even
occurs it triggers the workflow.

I would love to hear from other people who have had experience with large
workflow implementations.

Just for your information, our site has just gone through a sizing exercise
and it seems that they will be needing 49 app servers. So we are talking
about some serious sized implementation.

I look forward to your thoughts about any workflow-performance experience
that you would like to share.

Regards,

Alon Raskin
3i Consulting Group