Object Method Usage

Dart, Jocelyn jocelyn.dart at sap.com
Wed Aug 7 03:54:41 EDT 2002

Hi Diane/Kjetil,
No it's not as simple as changing the flag from dialog to background - if
it was marked as dialog in the first place it was usually because the way
that method is coded it does require user involvement, e.g. it calls a transaction
with screens that need to be filled in by someone. You need a method that
has code that does NOT require user involvement.  Which it sounds like you
already have.

I'm guessing that the CreateFromData method (you don't say which object?)
is a true background method that therefore doesn't use screens at all and
is probably, even better, a BAPI?
So screen sequence should not be an issue.  The only question is does it
let you add the data you need to. If it does then you can use it.

As a general rule if you want to create a background method you need to
find a background way of performing the activity such as:
1. BAPI - generally the best choice of all as it is performance efficient
2. Some other function module(s)
3. Some sort of batch input technique such as CATT, BDC or CALL TRANSACTION USING.
Then code the method to use this.

Regards,
        Jocelyn Dart
Consultant (SRM, EBP, Workflow)