Background work items stuck in process

Schroeter, Brad BSchroeter at ti.com
Tue Oct 30 18:33:50 EST 2001

I'm on 4.0B and I've got some workflows whose work items are stuck in
process (status = "STARTED").  This happened due to exceptions not being
defined in the method: the exceptions were in the method code via
"exit_return" but the corresponding exception was not defined in the actual
method's attributes.  So the work items have error OL818: Exception '9002'
is not defined for method 'COMPLETEECO' object type 'ZECO'.

Long-term:
Since our exceptions are not modeled in definition and they are temporary
errors, my plan is to create these missing temporary exceptions in the
actual method's attributes so that the system will attempt to restart the
work item and if necessary, send a notification to the Workflow
administrator.  So do I only need to create a new Workflow version (i.e. I
don't have to create a new method and a new task, do I)?

Short-term:
How do I go about getting these background work items unstuck?  Please note
that these do seem to be "temporary" errors since this has only happened on
a few (not all) Workflows.

Thanks,
Brad