Quality Notification Workflow

Stiles, Les Les.Stiles at icn.siemens.com
Fri Nov 30 08:51:46 EST 2001

As the company and I are relatively new to WF, I chose to use Quality
Notification template WS24500047 as a pilot project to demonstrate WF
functionality. A Organization Structure was created and I am using QM
Customization to configure tasks, agents, etc. against this structure.
During testing I have determined what appear to be two major shortcomings of
this template in our Quality Notification process. Has anyone used or
modified this template accomplish the same basic Quality Notification
process as listed below?

Our Incoming Goods Rejected Material Process requires the Quality dept. to
propose a Inspection Lot disposition and based on that, other tasks are
processed by such depts. as Purchasing or Production Engineering. However -

1) When I configure and use the QN Task Assignment button for multiple
pre-defined tasks/agents (in QM Customization), all workitem tasks are sent
to all possible agents Inboxes, even if only one task for one agent is
released.

2) Alternatively, I tried using the QN coordinator to assign the first task
and then attempted to have the Quality agent assign the follow-on task(s)
with different agent(s).  The workitem would not leave his/her Inbox because
the WF loop saw still open tasks in the QN. Only by having the Quality agent
complete the task and then having the QN coordinator to assign each
follow-on tasks would the WF loop allow processing workitems serially. This
is unacceptable to the process owners as repeated coordinator intervention
is required.

It would appear that a custom WF using the Standard Tasks may be in order,
but I was curious how other group members may have addressed QN processing
using this template. We are using 4.6C, but earlier 4.x versions would
probably be applicable.

Thanks in advance for any assistance,

Les Stiles
Systems Analyst, QM & WF