preventing changes once WF underway

Dart, Jocelyn jocelyn.dart at sap.com
Mon Jul 2 20:40:54 EDT 2001

Hi John,
You can only prevent changes to a sales document if the transactions
around it allow you to block it in some way.   Perhaps someone with
sales specific knowledge can help here.

If you can't block it, another technique is to set up parallel paths
in your workflow that wait on events indicating that the sales document
has changed.  If it has changed, then send a mail to everyone who has
reviewed it so far telling them it has changed, then retrigger your
triggering event to raise a new workflow for the changed sales document.

You do need to be careful about overlap - for instance if your agents
change the sales document using the workflow and this raises the same
events which is used to terminate the work item.
In this case you may need to add a check function module
to the event to check whether there is both a work item and an event
item waiting for the event, and close the work item only if there is more
than one event.  (Hope that makes sense, you are basically just trying
to make sure the event will trigger the correct path in your workflow).
Or you could use the check function module to check that the
event creator is an agent of the waiting work item.

Hope that helps.
Regards,
        Jocelyn Dart
Consultant (BBP, Ecommerce, Internet Transaction Server, Workflow)
SAP Australia
Email jocelyn.dart at sap.com <mailto:jocelyn.dart at sap.com>
Tel: +61 412 390 267
Fax: +61 2 9935 4880