Web Enabled Workflows

Dart, Jocelyn jocelyn.dart at sap.com
Tue Feb 6 17:58:03 EST 2001

Hi Bill,=20
A few suggestions based on my experiences in this area:

1. For approval workitems (i.e. where the user actually
approves/rejects), use tasks with object FORM method HTMLPROCESS,=20
the workflow web transaction generation option to create
a web transaction for the workitem, and=20
SAP at WebStudio to create ITS service/template files matching=20
the web transaction.  There is quite a bit of info in the=20
R/3 library on this - look in the workflow section - you should
find a section on web handling near the section on Exchange handling.
The entry point for users is then the web inbox - i.e. ITS service
BWSP.  You can use report RSWUWFML to send reminder emails to users
with outstanding workitems - it's worthwhile including the URL
to the BWSP service as part of the text message as Exchange will
turn this into a hyperlink encouraging users to deal with workitems
on the spot. =20

Don't forget that user decisions are already web-enabled and it is=20
possible to create your own user decision task (object DECISION
method PROCESS) - if your display needs are very simple this can save
some development.=20

2. Business Connector is really for automated communication of=20
documents not dialog communication.  So if you want to send a
document out at some time during your workflow this is possible, but
it's not the sort of thing to use for the actual approval workitem.

3. Workplace gives you access to R/3 via SAPGUI for HTML. =20
One of the big benefit of using workplace for workflow is the workflow=20
miniapp, which can synchronise workitems from multiple R/3 systems.
However implementing Workplace is non-trivial and would not be =
justified
purely to handle workitems.  So if you are implementing Workplace for=20
other reasons by all means take advantage of it, but if you aren't, =
option
1 above is usually sufficient to solve the immediate problem.=20

Hope that helps.
Regards,
        Jocelyn Dart=20
Consultant (BBP, Ecommerce, Internet Transaction Server, Workflow)=20
SAP Australia
Email jocelyn.dart at sap.com <mailto:jocelyn.dart at sap.com>=20
Tel: +61 412 390 267