Fwd: Web Forms

Dan Harmon rrfs20 at email.sps.mot.com
Mon Apr 16 18:12:21 EDT 2001

"Susan R. Keohan" wrote:

> On behalf of marcd35 at hotmail.com...
> >Hello all,
> >
> >We are running 4.6B and would like to use workitems within the Workflow Web
> >Inbox. Because the GUI for HTML is only available as of 4.6C that means we
> >have to use web forms.
> >From what I understand about Web Forms:
> >
> >1. A workitem running a Web Form must use the object/method FORM.HTMLPROCESS
> >2. Within the FORM.HTMLPROCESS task, input/display fields must be defined in
> >the task container as export/import container elements
> >
> >What I don't understand about WebForms:
> >
> >1. How do you generate the HTML Template
> >2. How do you make the link between the HTML Template and ABAP Dialogue (if
> >there is one ?)and possibly the Task Itself
> >
> >Basically I am looking for an easy step by step way to get the Web Forms
> >working, thank you for your help.
> >
> >Marc D.

Marc,

A workitem running a web form does not have to use the object/method
FORM.HTMLPROCESS.  You can write your own custom method for the task to
use, and it will still run on the web.  Yes, it is more work, but if you
use your own method it is much easier to enhance and customize the
method to meet your business requirements.  The key is to web enable
both your task and your workflow using the Goto->Web Transaction pull
down menu path.  R/3 will generate the necessary ABAP code for your form
to at least work on the web.  Once you have completed these steps then
you should go ahead and generate the web templates.

To generate the web templates you can use the SAP application known as
Web Studio.  It is available free at www.saplabs.com.  It comes with
very good documentation.  In 4.6c you can also use SE80 to generate the
web templates, I do not know if you can use SE80 to do this in 4.6b.
Your web templates will have to be customized as the autogenerated
templates produced by Web Studio are not user presentable and require
some HTML work to make them presentable to the users.  Again more work.

The link between the web form, the ABAP dialogue, and the workitem is
set up and controlled with another SAP application, the Internet
Transaction Server (ITS).  The ITS is also available free for download
at www.saplabs.com.  You must have an ITS installed to run web
workflow.  Again, more work.  Presently, I believe that the ITS software
only runs on the NT platform.  If you have access to the ASUG web site,
I know there are several good presentations both from SAP and customers
on web enabled workflow and the ITS.

We have found web enabling a workflow to be a double edged sword.  The
user community thinks it is the greatest thing in the world, but it is
easily twice the effort to develop and takes more resources to maintain.

Regards,
Dan
| Dan Harmon                    |             Phone:    480-634-3090 |
| R/3 Workflow Group Leader     |               Fax:    480-634-3761 |
| Information Technology        |             Pager:    888-782-2030 |
| Motorola SPS                  |            dan.harmon at motorola.com |
| How long a minute is depends on what side of the bathroom door     |
| you're on.                                                         |