Multi-line Attribute for WF Routing

Rickayzen, Alan alan.rickayzen at sap.com
Fri Oct 6 09:36:04 EDT 2000

Jim,
This sounds very much like MITs brilliant award winning workflow (Sue was
probably too modest to mention her role in this) described in the October
'99 SAPInfo.

Think carefully about whether you want serial or parallel processing.
Parallel has the obvious advantage that the process whizzes through much
faster.
For sequential processing simply set up a loop with a binding

This is how you do it with parallel processing (no programming involved).
1. Create a workflow step based on a subflow which handles the approval. It
sounds like you've done this already but make sure it is a subflow so that
you can handle the roles later.

2. In this step, set up "dynamic parallel processing" by specifying the
funds-centre attribute as a multiline element in the "others" tab-strip of
the workflow step. This repeats the step (simultaneously) for each of the
fund centres. In the binding you can specify that the indexed fund-centre
should be used (rather than the list).

3. In the subflow specify a role-resolution based on "responsibilies" for
the fund centre. Again, no programming involved but make sure you document
this for your workflow administrator so that they can keep this up-to-date
in the production system later.

4. In the subflow, after the document has been rejected, trigger an event
based on the document using the Event Creator step. (E.g. Document-Rejected,
make sure you define this event in BOR too and document in BOR that it is
triggered directly from the workflow).

5. In the main flow, include an event parallel to the dynamic parallel step
which waits for this Rejected event. This parallel branch should be defined
as a "1 in 2" branch so that the parallel branch finishes either when the
document has been rejected by one person or when everybody has approved.

6. Add a notification step in the main flow after this wait step so that
everybody who has previously approved is informed of the rejection. You can
collect the approvers via the binding.

This sounds tricky, but once you've done it once you'll find that the
algorithm can be used in plenty of other situations, which is why I've
described it here.

Good luck,
Alan Rickayzen
SAP AG

PS: I believe there is no longer a fund-centre business object so the
attribute should reference a DDIC table.