Work Item Stalled - RESOLUTION

STARK,TAMMY (HP-Roseville,ex1) tammy_stark at hp.com
Fri Jul 28 11:30:45 EDT 2000

Hello All,

Thought I would let you know the results of my workflow that stalled last
week...

The stall was due to a short-dump that occurred when the user (customer) was
processing a work item.  The workflow remained in process, i.e. it was not
in an ERROR status.  I opened an OSS request and was told that when a short
dump occurs the workflow manager also stops.  This means there is no way to
jump start or wake up, so to speak, the workflow to get it to continue.
What I had to do was end that sub-worflow manually.  Luckily, in this case,
it was was safe to do so.  Some of my sub-workflows have a lot of steps in
them and it would not be a good idea to do this.  If that is the case, the
only other alternative would be restart the workflow from the beginning.

>From our OSS request, SAP suggested that we make some parameter changes at
the database level (we use Informix) which should improve system
performance.  By making use of the OPTMSG and OPTOFC features in Infomix, it
should reduce the number of network round-trips.  Here's what was changed:

In the R/3 Profile we set the following:
/dbs/inf/optofc_off = FALSE
/dbs/inf/optmsg_level = 1

and if that doesn't work we were instructed to try it this way:

/dbs/inf/optofc_off = TRUE
/dbs/inf/optmsg_level = 7

Hopefully this will resolve the short-dump issue causing the workflow to
stall.  Time will tell.

Perhaps this will help some of you who have experienced the same problem.
If you don't use Informix, maybe this can still give you some ideas for
improving the system performance on your DB system.

Thanks for all of your suggestions on this one!

Best Regards,

Tammy Stark
Information Technology Engineer
Hewlett Packard, Business Critical Computing - IT
Voice mail: 916-748-2170
tammy_stark at am.exch.hp.com