BAPI's in workflow

Mark Huffman m.r.huffman at worldnet.att.net
Thu Dec 28 15:28:55 EST 2000

I have wrestled with BAPIs within methods for much of this past year and
have a few comments to add:

Usually a BAPI will require one or more large structures as input
parameters. I find it better to populate the structures in one step and
then call the create/change bapi in following step. One benefit is that
this allows better error handling and to some extent you can evaluate
your container elements with standard workflow steplogs (though that
also seems to be a problem with large structures - maybe someone else
has some advice on that point).

Be aware that the BAPI may not do everything that you need - either the
SAP developers have not included all table fields in the structures, or
your team may have added extensions to the underlying tables (adding US
centric fields like SSN is a common example). So in this case, although
you may want to call the BAPI to do the heavy work of creating the
master data - there may be follow on steps to update the master data.
There are various ways of handling this.

For some BAPIs, it may be useful to look at the real function module
that actually creates/changes the master data. Sometimes this is
straightforward and sometimes it isn't. For example, in the ISU area, we
found that it was often easier to call the ISU function module directly
from within the method, rather than "fiddling" with what the BAPI
allowed.

caveat emptor,

Mark