[panda-users] file recovery plugin

Brendan Dolan-Gavitt brendandg at nyu.edu
Fri Jul 22 12:22:45 EDT 2016

Nice idea. I think win7proc currently does this for Windows
(https://github.com/moyix/panda/blob/master/qemu/panda_plugins/win7proc/win7proc.cpp#L1652),
but a Linux version of it would be great!

-Brendan

On Fri, Jul 22, 2016 at 12:15 PM, Manolis Stamatogiannakis
<mstamat at gmail.com> wrote:
> Just wondering,
>
> Is there a (best effort) file recovery plugin for PANDA?
>
> This could work by "replaying" each write syscall that occurs in the trace
> for a specific guest-fd to a file on the host.
>
> OSI for Linux resolves both the filename and the file position of each fd,
> so even random access writes should be recoverable.
>
> Thanks,
> M.

Brendan Dolan-Gavitt
Assistant Professor, Department of Computer Science and Engineering
NYU Tandon School of Engineering