[panda-users] New to panda, How to set up the debug environment for panda source code

he hobart superchao2031 at gmail.com
Fri Jul 22 08:30:50 EDT 2016

Hello everybody!

I'm new to PANDA open-source project. I want to become a contributor of
PANDA project. And I have read your CCS paper and some conference
presentations. Known some basic principle of PANDA, I have tried the
experiment to find the SSL master key. It works well. PANDA is so amazing
and awesome! So I want to know the detail that how to implement PANDA and
ready to read the code of PANDA. However, There are some basic question
bother me for some days. Maybe some of you already know how to deal with it
and think that is quite simple. So I'm writing this email ask for some
helps .

Before PANDA project, I'm familiar with some C/C++ in Windows environment
and Python . Some program project scale is comparable to PANDA. Although
have some C/C++ code experience in Linux, They all have main() function to
tell me that this is the entrance of this program. So I can follow the
execution of C/C++ programs step by step by set some breakpoints.
Sometimes, I can write some test code to understand some detail about this
programs. But when I meet with PANDA, I don't know how to set the PANDA
project in my Clion IDE or just partly function of PANDA. And I don't know
how to make the structure of PANDA source-code clear. Because the source
code structure of PANDA is a little bit complicated. What's more, The scale
of PANDA project is so big that I don't know where is the beginning to read
it.

So, do you know how to set up the debug environment for PANDA source code?
It will be something same as the picture shown at the bottom. Do you know
what's the code structure of PANDA and where should I start to read,
specially about their taint plugin?  Is there only one way that read all
Makefile of PANDA to understand  the structure of source code ? As you
known, we all only just want to know partial complement detail of PANDA not
all of them. For example, If we want to know how PANDA to realize its taint
analysis, we only just want to read some source code relative to taint
analysis. We don't want to read all source code of PANDA. Mostly there are
many code that talk about how to realize QEMU. So we can put our efforts on
how to improve the speed of taint analysis or others performance and append
some special function to perfect PANDA. I will be very appreciative if you
can provide some detail about how to build the debug environment.

Thanks for any answer provided by you !

-Hobart

​