[panda-users] Compressing the LLVM files

Leek, Timothy - 0559 - MITLL tleek at ll.mit.edu
Sat Feb 13 08:30:19 EST 2016

Hi Julia.  I¹m actually working on doing this as we speak.  Maybe hold off a
few days?

From:  <panda-users-bounces at mit.edu> on behalf of Julia Gustafsson
<gustafssonjulia92 at gmail.com>
Date:  Saturday, February 13, 2016 at 7:26 AM
To:  "panda-users at mit.edu" <panda-users at mit.edu>
Subject:  [panda-users] Compressing the LLVM files

Saw that you wrote this regarding the files from the llvm_trace plugin:
"They are very large. However they are also highly compressible. One
way to reduce the space taken up is to modify panda/tubtf.c to use
gzip compression as it writes the file; I've done this in the past and
it works well, but it does mean that the resulting log file is not
seekable (i.e. it's hard to process it in any order other than the
beginning to the end)."

My question is then how do I change the code so that it uses compression
while writing to the TUBTF file correctly? Can this be done for making the
llvm-memlog file compressed as well?
Another question is regarding what do you mean with that the " resulting log
file is not seekable"? Is it not possible to use dynslice on the TUBTF file
if it is compressed in the way you describe?

Thank you in advance.

Best Regards,
Julia