[panda-users] Forking in callback

Igor R boost.lists at gmail.com
Mon Mar 23 15:16:35 EDT 2015

> QEMU uses pthreads, and forking a multi-threaded program is very
> tricky. If you're just looking for some parallelism, you may want to
> consider just spawning another thread.
>
> What are you trying to accomplish?

I'm trying to quickly get back to some previous state - to be able to
change some input without re-running my process from the beginning.
To accomplish this I'm experimenting with various approaches - without much
success so far...
Besides the experiments with fork, I tried to save the VM state and then
restore it, but it turns out that vm_save/vm_load take a lot of time - much
more than creating a snapshot during record initialization. Why does the
latter snapshot get produced much faster? Is it just because it doesn't
contain the state of the devices?
In general, is there a fast way to do that in QEMU?

Thanks!