[panda-users] Obtaining LLVM bitcode from PANDA plugin

Federico "fox" Scrinzi fox91 at anche.no
Wed Feb 18 10:55:01 EST 2015

On 18/02/2015 16:40, Whelan, Ryan - 0559 - MITLL wrote:
> You can also check out the llvm_trace plugin, which also includes all
> important QEMU helper functions.  There's a chance it's in a state of
> disrepair since I haven't used it in a while, but definitely worth a try.
>
> If you're interested in translation, that occurs (thanks to S2E) in
> qemu/tcg/tcg-llvm.cpp.

Thank you Ryan,
I had a look at the llvm_trace plugin but I cannot fully understand it,
I lack quite some knowledge about QEMU internals and LLVM.

> From: frank adkins <brisngrfreak at hotmail.com
> As far as I know, if you're just looking for a string representation
> then I've used the following:
>
> 1. to dump the IR straight to stdout:
> 2. to do something more precise with it:

Thanks Frank! That was really helpful :)

Another question (maybe silly): i see some panda/qemu-related code in
the llvm translation (e.g.: calls to helper_panda_insn_exec). I thought
the translation was at a lower level compared to the panda stuff. Why is
that? I guess it is not possible to get a "cleaner" LLVM code, is it? My
final goal would be to create less-obfuscated code/CFG from the recoding
of an obfuscated program, so any way to get more human-friendly LLVM
code would be appreciated.

Cheers,
Federico

--