[PageOneX] [dev] D3 and layered png in display view: bugs

pablo rey pablo at basurama.org
Thu Jun 6 02:04:44 EDT 2013

I was testing the last big improvements that Rahul and Ed have been working
on:

   - Changing the bar chart from google charts to d3
   - Changing the array of images from an array of single img and areas as
   div, to a multilayered png.

*From google charts to d3*
It's a great improvement, that will help us build more interactive
visualizations: by newspaper, stack bar charts...
I listed some of the things that need to be fixed at
https://github.com/numeroteca/pageonex/issues?milestone=10&page=1&state=open

*From an array of single img and areas as div, to a multilayered png*
In the former version, there were too many http requests (too many big
images) and which caused  a slow behavior in the browser. I made some tests
and found a bunch of things to solve that I list bellow. I'll create issues
as well, tomorrow.

Over all it looks great, and a great improvement in speed.

List of bugs and fixes in the display view:

+ PRIORITY *Areas show overlaped*, though in the coding view they are not:
Example: Here the layer:
http://pageonex.com/assets/threads/40/42/code_87-fc41d8657f1ecd1e5f272a5f3f1695cc.png
in
this thread
http://pageonex.com/matrushka/gezi-parki-protests-in-turkish-newspapers/ The
day 6/04 Turkey - Millyet
http://pageonex.com/matrushka/gezi-parki-protests-in-turkish-newspapers/coding/?i=milliyet-2013-06-04
(among
others) is displayed wrongly in the graph.

Other layers with wrong overlaping of areas:
http://dev.pageonex.com/assets/threads/2/7/code_12.png
http://pageonex.com/assets/threads/40/42/code_87-fc41d8657f1ecd1e5f272a5f3f1695cc.png
http://pageonex.com/assets/threads/2/41/code_86-d92bdb3202ad158f598aa269fd384498.png

I am not able to find a pattern.

+ PRIORITY The *transparent png*
http://pageonex.com/assets/transparent.pngused to put the map of links
to the different front pages had a grey pixel.
It created a grey aea in the top left of the array of images. I removed it
663849a, and solved it in dev. However theimage in production is not
http://pageonex.com/assets/transparent.png but
http://pageonex.com/assets/transparent-c86f133e8e3505b72c79262e6b82bcb6.png

+ PRIORITY As it is mentioned in the commented code: *rows and columns need
padding*. Now all newspaper are displayed without a pixel of separation. It
will need to be variable: a pixel or 3 for long threads, 5-10 for short
ones.

+ *Uncoded images should render* with less more opacity, to show that they
are not coded. With the new png version all lookthe same. Look at the
example of the Sabah newspaper:
https://twitter.com/numeroteca/status/342049105192837120/photo/1
I think it is a good practice to help coder know what has not yet been
coded. It was working well.

+ *Missing images*: when an image could not be scraped they are displayed
as white (not the former 404 message). Despite, we can still make those
white spaces linkable. It is useful when user want to request that image
again from the coding view.

+ *Background with all the newspapers' grid image too big*: I downloaded
the image and it weighted 5.5Mb. When I resaved it (recompressed?) again as
png it was 2.2Mb (in another case it went from 3.2Mb to 1.2Mb), used
compression 9 in gimp. Any way to make them be a bit lighter?

+ In *some 'old' threads are broken*: the display view didn't work:
Among others it happened in these ones:
  http://pageonex.com/numeroteca/test-open-thread-for-media-lab-festival/
  http://pageonex.com/numeroteca/corrupcion-spain-enero-2013/
  http://pageonex.com/Sasha_Costanza-Chock/drop-the-i-word/

and they all gave the same error:
Processing by CodingController#display as HTML
  Parameters: {"username"=>"numeroteca",
"thread_name"=>"test-open-thread-for-media-lab-festival"}
  Rendered coding/display.html.erb within layouts/application (5.1ms)
Completed 500 Internal Server Error in 10ms

ActionView::Template::Error (undefined method `[]' for nil:NilClass):
    102: <div class="row">
    103:  <div class="span2">
    104:  <ul class='thread-coposite-labels'>
    105:  <% @img_map_info['row_info'].each do |media_id,info| %>
    106:  <li style="height:<%=info['height']%>px"><%=info['name']%></li>
    107:  <% end %>
    108:  </ul>
  app/views/coding/display.html.erb:105:in
`_app_views_coding_display_html_erb___3013141180728199937_28041120'

I found out that editing them and saving solved the problem. Why is this
happening? Maybe it happens only to the ones that were copied from the
development deployment?

+ *Some big threads give the following error*, when rying to show i the
display view, like this one:
http://pageonex.com/Sasha_Costanza-Chock/drop-the-i-word/

Internal Server Error
to complete your request.
Please contact the server administrator, [no address given] and inform them
of the time the error occurred, and anything you might have done that may
have caused the error.
Apache/2.2.22 (Ubuntu) Server at pageonex.com Port 80