[PageOneX] [dev] Calculating percentage across all newspapers

Edward Platt elplatt at media.mit.edu
Wed Mar 27 15:16:18 EDT 2013

Hi All,

I'm working on fixing the percentages for days when not all newspapers are
published.  This has led me to wonder about the best way to calculate the
total percentage.

The current approach is to divide the total number of highlighted pixels by
the total number of pixels.  I see two possible problems with this:
1. Larger format newspapers will be weighted heavily.
2. If papers are scanned at different resolutions, the weighting of each
newspaper will depend on its resolution.

1. seems potentially OK, but 2. seems bad.  Is there a standard method for
calculating attention across newspapers with different physical sizes?

-Ed

--
Edward L. Platt
Civic Technology Programmer