[Olympus] Fwd: BPMs, magnetic field, MIE, etc

Alexander Kiselev kisselev at mail.desy.de
Thu Sep 1 10:59:09 EDT 2016

   Axel,

   honestly I was expecting a private answer from you first. Since you
posted my e-mail to the list, let me rephrase the question:

   - if (hypothetically) one measures (0,0) offsets in BPM#1 and BPM#2
for both e+ and e- beams it does *not* really mean, that both beams had
zero offsets and slopes in case there was a noticeable B*dl inbetween the
BPMs; it is easy to estimate, that given residual fields of an order of
~1mT (see fig.4-11 in your thesis, though it is Bx), ~1.5m distance and
2 GeV/c beam energy we are talking about several dozens of either
microradians or microns; this does not look negligible to ~10um accuracy
in relative e+ vs e- beam line position determination we claim;

   -> if the above consideration makes sense at all (I do not insist it
does; just asking), was this effect estimated, is it small (cancells?) and
if not: was it accounted for either in calculating e+ & e- beam line
parameters (and then in MIE normalization itself) or in 0.27% MIE
normalization systematics estimate?;

   Thank you,
     Alexander.

PS: personally I doubt, that SyMB *alone* can ever give better luminosity
normalization than 12 degree monitor with full tracking capability (and
yes, I carefully read respective chapters in both Axel's and Brian's
theses); since two systems provide statistically consistent instantaneous
measurements they probably should enter the paper this way (i.e. on equal
footing for luminosity determination, with all due comments about
possible magnitude of TPE effects at 12 degrees);

PS: I vaguelly remember, there was a discussion once on how to
*cross-calibrate* two luminosity systems using any 4 small sets of data
{e+-,f+-}; was about "native" SyMB usage mode at that time (not MIE)
though; based on a simple observation, that flipping magnetic field affects
charged tracks in two luminosity systems in a known (and different) way;