[Olympus] comment to paper draft

Belostotski, Stanislav stanislav.belostotski at desy.de
Fri Nov 4 13:15:55 EDT 2016

Dear colleagues,
Let me first say  that the Olympus  PhD students did really excellent
job. OLYMPUS, as it was conceived, would provide a very clean signal due
to the original idea to work symmetrically at two magnet polarities.
This was not unfortunately possible  in practice  which seriously
complicates the TPE extraction. However a thoroughly performed MC with
RC included helped to extract this tiny effect.
Congratulations!
Now my comments:
1.Table 1.
A couple of items :
-uncertainty due to beam positions and slopes is missing ;
-"geometry". What does geometry mean? Is that alignment imperfection?
"Elastic (event) selection and bgr subtraction".
There is no discussion in text about background which  at large angles
is mostly related to pion production. Remember, the latter is charge
asymmetrical. I can assume that the pion contribution is small but at
least a few lines on pion production is needed.
2.Page 3, left, paragraph "The integrated luminosity...."
These MIE , as stated in this paragraph, are coincidences of small angle
ep scattering and Moller or BhaBha coincidence events.So they are random
coincidences(?). Then they must be corrected for the beam intensity
variations(?). Or this is my ignorance (?).Ref.29 does not help ( "to be
published").   Why just  small angle ep scattering is not  usable for
normalization?
I presume similar questions will be put by a referee.
3. It is well known that kinematic constrains used for event selection
effect strongly on RC contribution. Extraction of net TPE effect from
the ratio is only possible  if these constrains are strictly identical
for e+ and e-. On the other hand the e+/e- acceptances are different.In
a bin in Q**2 this is of course solved applying eq.1. The question is
still how much false asymmetry can be resulted from imperfections of MC
simulation. Was the MC model tuned somehow and cross-checked?
I think we need a few lines on that point.
4.page4 with Fig.2.correct misprint at line 4. left   (simulation)
5. My opinion on ranking in the author list is in details in my previous
mails.

With best regards StanB