[Olympus] Status of results and timeline

Douglas K Hasell hasell at mit.edu
Mon Aug 8 16:49:24 EDT 2016

Dear Norik,

	I strongly disagree with your criticisms of the analyses by Brian and Rebecca and the procedure we have put forward for determining the OLYMPUS result for publication in PRL.

	For your first point.  If Brian, Rebecca, Axel, Jan, me, you, or anyone else use exactly the same analysis procedure as any of the given analyses; the result would be the same.  How would it be different except within some precision of the computer on which it was run?  Such an exercise would be meaningless.  On the monthly or weekly meetings the students routinely state the location of their analysis routines in the repository.  Anyone can look at the code and run it for themselves.  Please do so.  Let us know if you get a different result.

	That said you do not appreciate how complicated the tracking, event reconstruction, particle identification, detector acceptance and efficiency simulation, luminosity determination, etc. is.  It has taken the MIT group (with help from Lauren at ASU and Dmitry at Mainz) three years to get to this point with little help from anyone else in the collaboration.  That is not the way we wanted to do it; but it was the way we had to do it because there was little or no one else to do the work.

	Each student is doing their own analysis.  Please read Chapter 6 of Brian’s or Rebecca’s thesis.  Each approaches event selection, particle identification, etc. and then apply selection cuts and background subtraction in a different manner.  We do not expect exact agreement when they form the ratio.  However, that they agree so closely is encouraging and gives us confidence in the final result.  The difference is a systematic uncertainty related to the procedure that must be included in the accounting for the final uncertainty.  The differences arise not only from applying the procedure to the data but also from applying the same procedure to the MC data used to normalize the yields.

	Imagine two simple cuts: reconstructed beam energy and coplanarity.  Apply the same cuts but it different order.  The results will be different because of the tails of the distributions are different and contain different amounts of background and signal.  One tries to maximize signal and minimize background.  The students each approach it differently and get slightly different results.  It’s not surprising.

	All students are using the same run list for their analysis and will bin the data in the same Q^2 and epsilon bins for comparison.

	For your point regarding Brian’s highest Q^2 point near 2 GeV^2 on page 45 of his defense.  You are right, the point is centered about 1.02.  BUT it is statistically consistent with 1.03.  If we look at slide 44.  We don’t believe the structure we see: drop at 1.45 GeV^2 followed by two higher points and then a drop again at 1.85 followed by another rise.  We don’t claim that we have measured resonances, structure, or anything like that in the ratio.  It’s not statistically significant.  What we do see is that both figures seem to agree with Bernauer’s curve (as much as it pains me to admit it) which rises to 1.03.  Or if you fit a straight line to the data Q^2 > 0.6 I expect it would be very close to 1.03 at 2 GeV.  There is nothing wrong with Brian’s statement.

	As for your Q^2 ratio plot no one understood it or understood what it meant to show or how this provided some criteria of the data quality.  No one at today’s meeting wished to discuss it.  Is this a good example or a bad example with a 10% variation between beam species. What tracked data sample was it run on?  Which runs?  What was the event selection?  How was background subtracted?  Did you normalize to the corresponding MC tracked simulation?  Where is your code?  What ratio did you get?

	In two weeks I hope we will show results from at least three different analyses.  We will compare results for leptons going into the left sector with the right sector.  And we will combine the results to show what we hope will be the ratio result from OLYMPUS.

	I apologize if this response seem harsh in any way.  That is not my intention.  But we have been working on the analysis for three years and want to finish and move on.

26-415 M.I.T.                                  Tel: +1 (617) 258-7199
77 Massachusetts Avenue                        Fax: +1 (617) 258-5440
Cambridge, MA 02139, USA                       E-mail: hasell at mit.edu