[Olympus] FW: [Lns-students] [Lns-seminars] LNS SPECIAL Seminar w/ Dr. Weinstein TODAY @ 10:00 AM

Colton David O'Connor colton at MIT.EDU
Thu May 22 10:09:51 EDT 2014

The seminar is being broadcast through MIT's seminar channel.  Meeting star=
ted only five minutes ago.  Full details are at the bottom of this email, b=
ut the most relevant details are:

Community: MIT LNS
Password: LNSspecial
Meeting type: Open Meeting (Round Table)

Meeting Access Information:
SeeVoghRN Application       http://research.seevogh.com/joinSRN?meeting=3DM=
tM8Ma2l2nDtDD9D9DDs9t

-Colton

From: lns-students-bounces at MIT.EDU [lns-students-bounces at MIT.EDU] on behalf=
 of Jeanne M Glasheen [glasheen at MIT.EDU]
Sent: Thursday, May 22, 2014 8:06 AM
Subject: [Lns-students] [Lns-seminars] LNS SPECIAL Seminar w/ Dr. Weinstein=
     TODAY @ 10:00 AM

[cid:6D5F3250-B222-43CE-9608-12317EC50E9A]

SPECIAL Seminar

THURSDAY,  May 22, 2014
10:00 AM
Kolker Room (26-414)

"Resolving the Proton Form Factor Problem with Positron-Proton Scattering"

Prof. Lawrence B. Weinstein =97 Old Dominion University

Abstract:  The proton electromagnetic form factors are essential pieces of =
our knowledge of nucleon structure.  However, unpolarized and polarized ele=
ctron scattering measurements of the proton electric form factor differ fro=
m each other by up to a factor of three at high momentum transfer. One poss=
ible resolution of this discrepancy is to include the contribution of hard =
two-photon exchange (TPE) contributions. These contributions are very diffi=
cult to calculate due to the need to integrate over all possible intermedia=
te excited-nucleon states. However, we can directly determine the TPE effec=
t by measuring the ratio of the positron-proton to electron-proton elastic =
scattering cross sections.

We have measured the ratio of positron-proton to electron-proton elastic sc=
attering cross sections over a wide range of momentum transfer and virtual =
photon polarization using a mixed simultaneous beam of electrons and positr=
ons in Hall B at Jefferson Lab. At moderate momentum transfer our measureme=
nts are consistent with the difference between the unpolarized and polarize=
d electron scattering measurements of the proton electric form factor.

web.mit.edu/lns/news/specialseminar.html

________________________________
Title: LNS Special Seminar
Community: MIT LNS
Password: LNSspecial
Meeting type: Open Meeting (Round Table)

Meeting Access Information:
SeeVoghRN Application       http://research.seevogh.com/joinSRN?meeting=3DM=
tM8Ma2l2nDtDD9D9DDs9t
WebStart (Java)             http://research.seevogh.com/join?meeting=3DMtM8=
Ma2l2nDtDD9D9DDs9t
Mobile App :  Meeting ID: 693 3818   or  Link: http://research.seevogh.com/=
join?meeting=3DMtM8Ma2l2nDtDD9D9DDs9t

- Phone Bridge
 ID: 693 3818
 Password: 8496

Eastern Daylight Time (-0400)
Start 2014-05-22  10:00
End   2014-05-22  11:30

Japan Standard Time (+0900)
Start 2014-05-22  23:00
End   2014-05-23  00:30

India Standard Time (+0530)
Start 2014-05-22  19:30
End   2014-05-22  21:00

Central European Summer Time (+0200)
Start 2014-05-22  16:00
End   2014-05-22  17:30

Pacific Daylight Time (-0700)
Start 2014-05-22  07:00
End   2014-05-22  08:30

SeeVogh Research Network Phone Bridge Telephone Numbers:
---------------
- USA (Caltech, Pasadena, CA)
+1 626 395 2112

- Slovakia (UPJS, Kosice)
+421 55 234 2420

- Italy (INFN, several cities)
http://server10.infn.it/video/index.php?page=3Dtelephone_numbers
Enter '4000' to access the EVO bridge

- Germany (DESY, Hamburg)
+49 40 8998 1340

- USA (BNL, Upton, NY)
+1 631 344 6100

- United Kingdom (Janet, UK)
+44
University of Edinburgh     +44 131 474 4520

- Australia (ARCS)
+61
Adelaide  08 8463 1011
Brisbane  07 3139 0705
Canberra  02 6112 8742
Hobart    03 623 70281
Melbourne 03 8685 8362
Perth     08 6461 6718
Sydney    02 8212 4591

- Netherlands (Nikhef, Amsterdam)
+31 20 7165293
Dial '2' at the prompt

- Canada (TRIUMF, Vancouver)
+1 604 222 7700

- Czech Republic (CESNET, Prague)
+420 95 007 2386

- France (RAP, Paris)
+33 144 27 81 50

- Skype (tm) (World-wide)
evo.phone
See: http://evo.caltech.edu/evoGate/Documentation/extclient/skype/skype.html

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Jeanne M. Glasheen
Administrative Assistant

Massachusetts Institute of Technology
Laboratory for Nuclear Science
77 Massachusetts Avenue
26-505
Cambridge, MA  02139-4307
617.253.2361
617.253.0111 (fax)

glasheen at mit.edu<mailto:glasheen at mit.edu>

P lease consider the environment before printing this email.