[Olympus] Abstract for an invited talk at MESON2014 in Krakow, May 29-June 3, 2014

Michael Kohl kohlm at jlab.org
Sun Mar 16 11:59:37 EDT 2014

Dear Colleagues,
I have been invited for a talk on form factors, two-photon exchange and
OLYMPUS at MESON2014 in Krakow, Poland, May 29-June 3, 2014.
Since this is considered a review talk and not only on OLYMPUS, the
organizers wanted me personally to present it.

The abstract deadline is March 23, 2014. See the draft below, please send
me any comments by Thursday March 20, 2014.

Thanks and best regards
   Michael

"EM Form Factors and OLYMPUS"

Abstract:
The elastic form factors characterize the distributions of charge and
magnetization in momentum space and are important input for calculations
of strong interaction phenomena and nuclear structure. The dramatic
discrepancy in the observed ratio of elastic proton form factors between
the Rosenbluth separation and polarization transfer methods has invoked
numerous theoretical and experimental investigations. The previously
neglected effect from two-photon exchange has become the favored
explanation for the discrepancy. While the effect can not be calculated
from first principles, it can be verified experimentally in several ways,
most stringently by comparing the positron-proton and electron-proton
elastic cross sections.
The OLYMPUS experiment at DESY has been carried out to quantify the
effect of two-photon exchange using intense stored positron and
electron beams along with an internal unpolarized hydrogen target and
a large acceptance detector to measure the ratio of the positron-proton
and electron-proton elastic scattering cross sections.
I will present the status of form factor measurements and of the
experimental efforts to verify the effect of two-photon exchange, with
some emphasis on the OLYMPUS experiment.