[Olympus] Preliminary version of PRC talk

Inti Lehmann inti.lehmann at glasgow.ac.uk
Sun Apr 20 19:31:29 EDT 2014

Dear Uwe,

Thanks for compiling this very detailed talk. To my mind it seems very good, but let me forward you my comments below (in particular as I may not be able to make it for Tuesday's meeting).

General: Do I understand this correctly? Is this supposed to be the open session talk only? If so, it seems a too detailed for my taste. Your slides are very densely packed with information; and I would fear you may run into the trouble of being carried away into discussions of problems or details people will not be able to grasp. Those committee members will have a full day of presentations and I would try not to overload them. I read from the agenda that you will have 20min including discussion. From my experience this allows for little more than 15 slides at most. My proposal would be to leave away many issues which are not so well understood or difficult to explain. That can be discussed in the closed session if the PRC members wish to do so.

Of course the following comments base partially on my idea to reduce content. If you disagree please accept my apologies.

With respect to the 12deg monitors you mention a few times the "improvement of the geometry/alignment" (slide 9 and 33...). I guess you mean the geometrical modelling in MC, right? In order, not to confuse people I would state that more clearly.

Concerning the outcome of the 12deg lumi, my view is that it is a bit pointless to show 4 plots on s. 10 and 11, which cannot be properly seen on a beamer (and with a discrepancy in phi-angles not discussed) and possibly to omit s. 12. The outcome is already visible on s. 10 and 11 and spelled out. My view would be either something completely different or only slide 12 with only one of the plots. I would try to make sure to list possible reasons (MC, alignment, background...?) here.

Concerning Moller again I would reduce slides dramatically. Why not leave s. 15 away? We should have passed this level of comparison. If not, we should not highlight it. Why do you show some box cut outcome on s. 16, if a much more advanced technique is available? I'd rather explain one well and omit the one not to be used fully. The message and use of s. 17 remains unclear to me.

A major problem I have is with a label "Cross Section(s)" as used in the Moller plots on s. 18. The cross section of any reaction CANNOT depend on the run number! If this just counts divided by some normalisation as indicated by Michael, I would go much further than Michael and just call it what it is, leaving out "cross section(s)" both in titles and axis labels.

BPMs: Again lots of details and plots on s. 21 invisible on screen.

TOF: What about omitting plots on s. 22?

s. 30: Just wondering what the "coplanarity cut" is? Naively, I would assume a cut exactly in the correlation of the two theta angles shown, but then the result would be different... ...maybe someone else might have the same problem...

Conclusions: My preference would be to give some kind of broader far-ranging message here. When is a preliminary result expected? When do we think to have concluded the analysis? Are there other physics results expected? Which systematic error do we expect to reach? At least these would be the kind of questions I would have sitting in such a committee.... ....may I suggest to also avoid the word "continue" altogether?

Let me stress that this is not meant as criticisms but merely to provide my personal ideas how to improve this nice talk even further. I hope my comments are helpful.

Cheers,
Inti