[Olympus] OLYMPUS NIM paper

Michael Kohl kohlm at jlab.org
Sun Nov 17 20:54:37 EST 2013

Dear Doug,
nice work of those involved in the revision.
Please find my final comments below.
Best regards
   Michael

----

p.1 Author list
as you know I have been advocating D. Hasell et al., where all other
authors would follow alphabetically.

The problem I have with R. Milner, D. Hasell, M. Kohl, U. Schneekloth et
al. is the fact that with multiple principal authors listed ahead of the
alphabetic list, yet another prioritization scheme is required which may
or may not be so clear.

If it is simply the alphabetic principal list it would be
D. Hasell, M. Kohl, R. Milner, U. Schneekloth et al.

If it is to list the spokespeople in chronological order it would be
R. Milner, M. Kohl, D. Hasell, U. Schneekloth - and one should note that
the first two deputies would be missing here!

If it is to list the people with the 'first idea' then it becomes even
more subtle, and to me it is not clear why that results in the order
which has now been favored.

So, again, I would argue to drop the discussion and only have one
principal D. Hasell et al. (alphabetic), and the rationale for this is
because you, Doug, have been leading the effort to get this article ready
for publication.

Lastly, on the other hand, if there is a simple majority supporing the
current version of the author list then I will ultimately support it, too.

p.3 lines 23,25: the referencing of the TPE literature: Refs. [32,33]
from the bibiliography have not been referenced here. I guess the
distinction between [21-26] and [21-31] was meant to address the group of
Tomasi-Gustafsson, Kuraev, Bystritskiy who claim that there is very little
to no TPE. So I would move Refs. 31,32,33 to right after Ref. 27, then
followed by the group of papers (formerly 28-30). The referencing and
logics of the sentence in line 23-27 should be revisited.

p.4 Figure 1 see also comment below on references (p.53) - the RB data set
is incomplete. Is there a reason why some data sets have been discarded?

p.5 Caption of Fig. 2: at 2 GeV -> at a beam energy of 2 GeV
Fig. 2: The history of the grey-shaded band: I remember that at first it
was only introduced as a legend box for the projected data points, but
then it was also argued that it could stand for the projected size of the
systematic error. It is not addressed in the caption, and not in the text.
One could do this at the end of the paragraph in line 35 by adding a
sentence "OLYMPUS has been designed to measure the ratio to better than 1%
over the entire kinematic range covered."

Unfortunately, it is not mentioned in the text nor in the Figure at what
values of Q2 OLYMPUS has been measuring the cross section ratio. Since the
beam energy is fixed in Fig. 2, the variation of epsilon implies a running
value Q2, so one could indicate this by adding another x-axis scale for Q2
(the OLYMPUS data points range from ~2.2 down to ~0.4 (GeV/c)^2).

p. 8 line 108 ... unclear why the switching poses a challenge (because
PETRA was requiring positron refills). Suggest to fix it at
p. 8 line 114 PETRA could be refilled -> PETRA could be refilled with
positrons

p. 8 line 117 to achieve higher average current and target thickness,
and hence more luminosity (I think the two main points were to allow for
higher target thickness / possible running at lower lifetime, and to keep
the stored current more constant, which is better for the detector and
target operations)

p. 11 line 173: atoms or molecules? The latter is 2x more protons ...
I would imagine that the flow involves molecules however the target
thickness specifies the number of atoms per cm^2.

p. 12 suppresser -> suppressor

p. 13 line 206: remove: could be maintained

p. 13 line 219: supressor -> suppressor

p. 13 line 221: Fig. -> Figure

p. 18 line 257 missing blank between spectrometer and [39]

p. 29 Figure 16: originally we said that a 'sailboat plot' was to be
shown. Instead, this is now an efficiency plot. This is already more than
just a proof that the device is working, it is an analysis result. I am
not opposed to showing it, although I must say that this is the first time
that I see this plot. Has it been discussed before at any meeting?

p. 29 Figure 16 title: efficiences -> efficiencies
actually, can omit the title because there us a figure caption ...

p. 37 Figure 21: Numbers and axis labels are probably too small.

p. 38 line 610: The scintillator tiles exhibited efficiencies ...
-> The two scintillator tiles in each telescope exhibited combined
efficiencies ...

p. 51 line 882: the United States of America Department of Energy -> the
United States Department of Energy

p. 51 line 883: Nation Science Foundation -> National Science Foundation
in my previous remarks I provided the numbers of the grants. The agencies
require that grants and contract numbers are quoted in published papers.

What about the German BMBF (DESY) and DFG (Bonn, Mainz)?
What about the support in Italy?

p. 53
Ref. [1-13] The references on the proton form factor ratio do not look
ordered (well, almost ordered by Q2 reach but not quite). The ordering
could be simply chronological, or grouped by techniques (recoil
polarization and polarized target), and chronological in each.

Ref. [14-19] for Rosenbluth-separated data, this is incomplete
(missing:
T. Janssens, R. Hofstadter, E. B. Hughes, and M. R. Yearian, Phys. Rev.
142, 922 (1966);
J. Litt, et al.: Phys. Lett. B31, 40 (1970);
F. Borkowski, et al.: Nucl. Phys. A222, 269 (1974);
F. Borkowski, et al.: Nucl. Phys. B93, 461 (1975);

see also my remark on Figure 1 above. Is there a reason why some data
sets have been discarded for the ratio from Rosenbluth-separated form
factors?

Ref. [13] gev -> GeV
Ref. [20] blank character missing before "arXiv"

Some but not all references have a URL link.