[Olympus] Bureaucracy

Michael Kohl kohlm at jlab.org
Sun Feb 24 08:40:29 EST 2013

Dear Stan, all,

I think there is no disagreement. Let me expand my 'vision' at this time.

The idea is that we will have in addition to the analysis coordinator
(currently Jan) and luminosity coordinator (currently Juergen) also a
physics coordinator.

The analysis coordination happens on a more technical level, involving
coordination of calibrations, tracking, simulations, and oversight of the
analysis tasks, and how the analysis is preferrably done (analysis
framework). If we choose to have two analysis groups then each group
should have an analysis coordinator to oversee and organize the effort
in each group.

The luminosity coordinator is responsible to pursue the goal of
ultimately providing the best possible luminosity from the various systems
in place. This task has enough complexity to it that it is (and has been)
spawned from the overall analysis. You are right that luminosity
determination is analysis, too.

The physics coordination is about putting the strings together in order
to get toward a publishable result with a realistic error. The physics
coordinator is the contact point between the analysis groups if there is
more than one. The physics coordinator is also responsible to reinforce
the rules for release and publishing. The physics coordinator reviews the
analysis and luminosity results and is the last instance before results
are delivered to the OLYMPUS board for release approval. In reality there
will be frequent interactions between the physics coordinator and analysis
and luminosity coordinators, eventually resulting in new or revised
analysis tasks, in order to keep the overall process on the right track.

I see the two most important missions for the OLYMPUS management in the
upcoming term:

1) Extract the most accurate and robust result from the OLYMPUS experiment
(aim at fall 2013), and, after further refining, get it published within a
reasonable time frame (aim at early 2014).

2) Make sure that the students can achieve their goal of producing their
theses and obtaining their PhD in a timely manner.

More to come in the discussion session tomorrow.

Best regards
    Michael