[Olympus] Bureaucracy

Douglas Kenneth Hasell hasell at MIT.EDU
Fri Feb 22 13:46:55 EST 2013

Dear Colleagues,

	Since the OLYMPUS experimental data taking is now completed and we are concentrating on analysis the group leaders have decided that some restructuring of the collaboration organisation is in order

1. The existing organisation ( spokesman - Michael, deputy - Alexander, project manager - Uwe, and technical coordinator - me ) will stay in place until the hardware work (optical survey, field mapping, and disassembly) is completed.  Thus the current organisation will stay on until sometime in April.

	The one exception to this is that Alexander Winnebeck will be leaving us at the end of this month to take up a new position.  Alexander of course has been instrumental in getting the experiment to work and the successful data runs are largely thanks to his hard work.  I am sure we all wish him every success in his new career.

	The role of deputy for March - April will be assumed by Uwe.

2. Since the technical aspects of the experiment will be completed there is little need for a project manager and technical coordinator after April.  Therefore these positions will disappear.

3. Michael's term as spokesman was extended last summer to cover the data acquisition phase of the experiment and further extended now to April.  Now we would like to hold elections for the positions of spokesman and deputy spokesman to guide us through the analysis phase of the experiment.  These elections will be held during the collaboration meeting next week.

	Currently there are two nominations for spokesman - Michael Kohl and Douglas Hasell.  There is one nomination for deputy spokesman - Uwe Schneekloth.  If there are any other nominations please forward these to me as soon as possible.

	During the collaboration meeting the candidates will be invited to give a brief overview of their "vision" or plans for moving forward with the analysis.

	The actual election is based on groups or institutions with one vote per institution.  I propose to do this via E-mail and will ask Alexander Winnebeck (winnebec at mit.edu), as his last duty as deputy spokesman, to collect and report on the results.  We will expect E-mail votes not later than 28 February, 2013 from:

Arizona - R. Alarcon
Bari - R. De Leo
Bonn - R. Beck
DESY - U. Schneekloth
Ferrara - P. Lenisa
Glasgow - I. Lehmann
Hampton - M. Kohl
Mainz - F. Maas
MIT - R. Milner
PNPI - S. Belostoski
Rome - E. Cisbani
UNH - J. Calarco
Yerevan - N. Akopov

	Please communicate your preferences to your respective group leader.

4. The spokesman and deputy spokesman, in consultation with the group leaders, appoint the various coordinators.  For the analysis phase of the experiment the important coordinators will be: analysis, luminosity, and physics.  In addition there will likely be coordinators for each detector system responsible for the analysis of their detector system.

5. All of the above will be presented for discussion at the collaboration meeting.

Cambridge, MA 02139, USA                      E-mail: hasell at mit.edu