[Olympus] Slides for presentation on Monday

Axel Schmidt axel.w.schmidt at gmail.com
Sun Dec 8 12:47:15 EST 2013

Dear colleagues,
	I realize that I forgot to click reply-all, and just responded to Stan. Here's what I wrote back on Friday:

Dear Stan,
I'll try to answer your questions in advance of any discussion on Monday.

1) Yes, the generator does take into account the range of possible photon kinematics. The generator produces a cross section that is differential in 5 variables:

theta_lepton, phi_lepton, theta_photon, phi_photon, delta_E

The asymmetry does have a single value for a given delta_E cut. The bands are not showing the range of photon kinematics. I am integrating over the photon angles. The bands are showing the statistical precision of the study. By simulating more events and accumulating more statistics in this study, the bands will shrink in size.

2) The problem of divergences at delta_E -> 0 is a tricky one for generators. Both the MIT and Novosibirsk generators have to use some tricks to avoid problems for very small values of delta_E. Novosibirsk uses a cut around small delta_E, like you describe. The MIT Generator cancels the divergence in the cross section against the sampling distribution for the Maximon+Tjon tail. These are two different approaches, and we are in the process of studying them to confirm that their predictions agree. We also expect both approaches to match M+T at low delta_E, where M+T's soft-photon-approximation is valid.

All the best,
Axel