[Olympus] Acceptance Simulations

Inti Lehmann Inti.Lehmann at glasgow.ac.uk
Thu Nov 22 11:42:56 EST 2012

Dear Michael,

I see. Thanks for the explanation.

Maybe what I wrote was partially misleading. Of course, I know that MC studies will be the key to understand most systematic uncertainties. I just personally think that neither the gaps between the TOFs nor their real particle efficiency will drive the uncertainty. In particular, if you consider the ideal case where they are symmetrically arranged. I'm just afraid that it may send the wrong message if we were to publish results of a toy study with input which cannot (and should better not) be true. I have never seen a 2cm gap between scintillators and I still worry about what should cause strongly inefficient scintillators. In both cases the actual fact will not change your result, only the level of precision to which you know it. I'm afraid, I have no good idea how to determine the TOF efficiency even roughly without using full tracking information and lots of statistics.

So, my concern is two-fold:
1) You may waste precious time as the two-fold ratio of a small uncertainty will be very small, indeed. At least for the gaps I cannot see how this could possibly cause a large effect, in particular, if you leave everything symmetric.
2) If you are not careful, you may risk leaving the impression that we have left 2cm gaps between scintillators and they would work at 60% efficiency.

My very crude idea if you are speaking of a "toy experiment" simulating a possible scenario would read along the following lines: Assume that we are inefficient to a certain level in finding a track in a certain sector of Olympus and you misjudge your actual efficiency by a certain level. This would be independent on what the cause is and should be left-right asymmetric. One could define it for fiducial volumes or even simpler for angles (but not very realistic). If you then put in a 5, 10% e+/e- asymmetry what would the reconstructed asymmetry be? As I said, just an idea....

This is, of course, only my view and I hope that such thoughts help though I have no time to work on the details and will be drowned in night shifts when I'll be at the experiment soon.

Cheers,
Inti